Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Without Further Ado

So here I am finally putting up my thoughts on Psalm 2. Yes, it's been just over a month since the first chapter. Let it be known that it's been a crazy month. And, as is likely quite apparent, I have a lot to work on. So without further ado I give to you: Psalm 2.

1Why are the nations in an uproar
And the peoples devising a vain thing?
2The kings of the earth take their stand
And the rulers take counsel together
Against the LORD and against His Anointed, saying,
3"Let us tear their fetters apart
And cast away their cords from us!"
4He who sits in the heavens laughs,
The Lord scoffs at them.
5Then He will speak to them in His anger
And terrify them in His fury, saying,
6"But as for Me, I have installed My King
Upon Zion, My holy mountain."
7"I will surely tell of the decree of the LORD:
He said to Me, 'You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You.
8'Ask of Me, and I will surely give the nations as Your inheritance,
And the very ends of the earth as Your possession.
9'You shall break them with a rod of iron,
You shall shatter them like earthenware.'"
10Now therefore, O kings, show discernment;
Take warning, O judges of the earth.
11Worship the LORD with reverence
And rejoice with trembling.
12Do homage to the Son, that He not become angry, and you perish in the way,
For His wrath may soon be kindled
How blessed are all who take refuge in Him!

It's kinda funny how accurately Scripture can speak to the heart. I've been a perfect model of those kings and leaders, trying to wrestle the issues of my world into my own hands, misusing my weaknesses and ignoring my strengths. Worst of all, as the kings of old, I have relied on the counsel of my own meager wisdom and insight, packing God away in a neat little box to take out again when I have everything under control. A problem with this strategy arose early on, however, as I saw the fires of life burning more and more, and my control slipping further away from me the more effort I put into maintaining it. And the arousal of other great beasts not even entirely of my own making (notably the totalling of my car) certainly added another level to the chaotic frenzy that I had not planned on. But, being the stubbern mess that I am, I refused to turn away from the immenent cliff, but charged on in my not-so-blind rage "Against the LORD and against His Anointed, saying, 'Let us tear their fetters apart And cast away their cords from us!'"(v.3) But I was finding it more and more difficult to run away from the consequences of my actions: the feared wrath and scoffing of verses 4 and 5. I was starting to lose hope in a pretty serious way, rapidly aproaching the point of just giving up entirely on being of any worth.

But Psalm 2 does not end with God meting out His righteous (and most deserved) justice on the kings. He instead continues beyond that point, giving not just a warning to change their ways, but encouragement and hope. The very last phrase of the psalm: "How blessed are all who take refuge in Him!"(v.12) shows beyond the shadow of doubt that there is forgiveness for those who return to Him, and even more that there is safety and comfort in His light.
Thankfully my story has not yet ended with me going off that cliff. A couple of nights ago, as I was trying to forget my pain in my pillow, the realization hit me: there is nothing to be afraid of. There is no fall to far to be raised back up from. There is no sin that can mar a life to the extent that it can no longer be used by God. I cannot begin to describe the waves of joy that crashed over me as those thoughts zipped through my consciousness, so I won't try. I must say that I felt not a little foolish, as well, at my idea that I could somehow screw up God's purpose for my life because of my folly.

I know that I will do terrible things in the future. I know that I will miss out on great opportunities as a result of my failure to follow God. But I also know that while my path changes constantly, I will most assuredly still end up at the final destination that was mine from the founding of the world. So I will hold on to that hope that remains firm, knowing that the sorrows and joys of life will only positively impact the end. After all, it's the build up that makes the grand finale.

Bursting forth,
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment